* The Cumboogle Brigade of the NSW Rural Fire Service commenced life as the Cumboogle Bush Fire Brigade at a meeting of landholders at the ‘nine mile’ on Obley Road Dubbo on Sunday 29 October 1939. At this time there were about 16 properties in the brigade's area of about 22,000 acres. In 2013 the same area is occupied by some 160 properties.
* The Christmas day 1984 fire was a devastating event for the brigade and the Cumboogle community. A significant area was burnt out by a fire that spread from the west and was eventually brought under control by the activities of volunteers and residents in our area and with assistance from local brigades. In the process, a member of our brigade, Deputy Captain Colin Witheford, lost his life. There is a plaque commemorating Colin’s sacrifice attached to the front of the Cumboogle brigade station.
* The brigade station, situated on the corner of Obley and Benelong roads, was constructed in 1990 by the members of the brigade and funded largely from the brigade’s own funds together with contributions from Dubbo City Council and the Bush Fire Fund.
* The brigade currently has two tankers, a Cat 1 crew cab supplied in 1997 and a Cat 7 tanker delivered in 2007. Since 1984, the brigade has purchased (utilizing 100% brigade funds) several vehicles, all second hand, such as an International AB 160 purchased from Ku-ring-gai brigade, a Land Rover from Dangar Island, a Ford F350 from Eurobadalla shire and a Toyota 1-tonner. The last vehicle purchased with brigade funds was a Mazda Cat. 7 tanker purchased from Faulconbridge. All these vehicles have subsequently been sold.
* We meet socially at the fire shed every Friday night 6 pm – 8 pm and all members and residents are welcome to attend.
* We train monthly, generally on the second Sunday of each month from 9am to around noon.